11 January 2009

The Other Side of the Story




Legend of These Three





Model of 1891 Argentine Mauser, 7.65x53mm



SMLE (Short Magazine Lee-Enfield, 7.62 NATO)



1917 Enfield (aka P14), .30'06.




I am told that my memory of the proposal was faulty. I am told that my brother did not volunteer to buy me the firearm of my choice if any anti-gun laws are passed during the Obama administration. He says that what he really said was that, if I am left destitute of firearms because of the incoming administration, he will buy me one from the black market.


That's not nearly as exciting, because I don't do black market sales or purchases.

Here are a few of my lovely blued-steel friends from years past. As Jed Lewis used to say so sarcastically, "It sort of brings a tear to the eye..."

This was my Italian-built replica of the British 1853 Enfield which was purchased by the CSA during our Civil War. It was a .58 caliber and fired a .565" hollow-based bullet (Minie'-ball) (which I moulded on my kitchen stove) from a 39" barrel at around 900 fps with a powder charge of about 65 grains of FFg black powder. It became groceries and a tank of gas in Boise.

1 comment:

Jim said...

This is what Jake has to say on this subject:

"Yeah, but contacting/doing business with the black market would be exciting for me. I could film it, write a book, get killed. The possibilities are endless."

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton