29 October 2008

There Is Beauty All Around

Aesthetics have always pleased me. As child I was blessed with parents who filled our home with many kinds of good music. My mother decorated our walls with John James Audubon. She taught us what Currier &Ives prints were. I recall sitting by her as a small fellow and looking at the book of Grandma Moses art she was perusing.

Even as a little boy I could tell that there was something entirely different and altogether appealing about the faces of little girls. My upbringing allowed us time to stop quite literally to smell the roses and every other type of flower. We learned the names of many of them.

Since I was not blessed to be a painter, sculptor, or any other type of artist, the Lord saw to it that I would be blessed to possess the works of many who were so blessed. I love to leaf through books of the prints of famous artists and illustrators. I have a fairly extensive collection of recorded music. And I can take pictures. Dear old Harold Nielsen taught me how to wield a camera so as to preserve that which pleased me about a scene or a face. Here are a few of my favorite faces and things, all of them beautiful to me.






















































































































































































1 comment:

Autumn said...

Thanks for letting me feel so good to be in the company of all the beautiful people, places and things. Sometimes I have not always agreed with you about my being pretty, but it was always so special to me to know that MY DAD didn't just think I was pretty, he KNEW I was beautiful. Thanks for that, Dad. I appreciate that more than you know. Love you, Aubie

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton