24 October 2008

A Few Reasons I'm Proud of my Wife


During the successful part of my life I enjoyed a kind of raw glory, giving my all to teaching and getting lots of praise and admiration in return. I loved this, especially since the money was a real joke.

Some people don't get very much open praise or public acclaim, but they contribute hugely to society and to their own families. My wife Sheryl is such a person.

You know how a car can look kind of nice but not like it's an amazing performer and you might not take it too seriously until it suddenly lays several feet of rubber in the intersection, makes a sound like the Battle of Jutland, and disappears in a fog bank of its own smoke? We used to call such a car "a sleeper." Sheryl is sort of a sleeper.

Sure, she's nice to talk to and always seems mild and easy going. But her talents are amazing and they're of very important types.
I'm not just computer illiterate, I'm computer handicapped. Sheryl once took a class in which the requirement to pass was to build three (3) computers with your own hands. And she aced the class. Watchng her at work on a computer is not only amazing but a little humbling. It's sort of like watching one of the Tabernacle organists at work, all four limbs blurred in a constant frenzy of seemingly pointless activity until suddenly the computer jumps down from the table, does a pirouette, sings a chorus of "Everything's Coming Up Roses," and produces fifty copies of Moby Dick, complete with Melville's signature and a free harpoon for the first 20 customers.

On two occasions since we got married I have found myself in the unenviable position of having to teach a class to fellow students/teachers by the use of a - shudder - computer! My first response to such an assignment was a long reverie on how to hide the professor's body. After being reminded about that one pesky commandment, I then began to recite some perfectly truthful things about me and computers, such as the fact that they always smile malignantly when I walk into a room. I mentioned that they had often plotted my personal destruction and that I was simply not the computer type. "Give me a piece of chalk," I boasted, "and a couple of hours and I can make you understand and remember how World War I started. I don't need no stinking computer!" Curiously, my speech had taken on a sort of Mexican accent by the time I finished.

Sheryl, however, said that all I had to do was plan my lesson and she could make the computer part go well and look good. "We'll just put it on a __(Jump Drive and put in the USB port)__," she said. Yes, I did notice that there was a blank there just now. You see, that's because its a computer term. It's this little thing sort of like a key ring that you stick into the side of the computer. It's a two or three word term which includes the word "port." Port key? No, no. That's what makes you fly from the Weasley's neighborhood to the quidditch finals. Iron Port? No, no. That's a Coke that you mix with Cherry syrup. Portabella? Ma, no! Questo e' un tipo di fungo! Roba da matti!

Well, anyway, it's got the word port in it.

And sure enough, she made it all go well. In both classes I got applause from unsuspecting people who thought I knew what I was doing, heh, heh, heh.


She can also shoot quite well. And I don't just mean popping water bottles and skipping rocks across the desert, although she can do those things, too. She's a serious group shooter. See the picture? Huh? Huh? Not bad, eh?




Perhaps her most important talent is Sheryl's ability to calm and reassure little children. This ability also extends to small animals and ruffled husbands.

When we lived in the Chubbuck Eleventh Ward, Bishop Dredge called us into his office one night and asked Sheryl to be the Sunbeam teacher. I've seen grown men cry and run in frenzied circles at the thought of such an assignment. But Sheryl brightened and said, "Oh, goodie! I love to teach Sunbeams. I was afraid you were going to ask me to do something hard."

I placed my wrist gently on Sheryl's forehead. No obvious fever. She was clearly overjoyed, though, and Bishop Dredge, a veterinarian by profession, rolled his chair a little closer to the corner where stood his trusty tranquilizer rifle. She assured us that she was quite sincere. Everything would be fine.


On her first day teaching the Sunbeams, Sheryl asked me to slip out of the High Priests group at a certain time and help her to photograph each of her tiny charges. Here are a few resulting portraits. Most seemed to love the attention and their pictures looked great. But there was one tiny little girl whose lip trembled at the thought of having a camera pointed at her. Just being in Primary was a kind of endurance test for her. I sort of sneaked a picture of her and left, thinking that life was going to be too much for that particular child.

Less than six months later, on Fast Sunday, the little doll's father stood up and tearfully expressed his love and his wife's for "dear, sweet Sister Haeberle." The timid little creature now ran to get to Primary and talked constantly at home of all the wonderful things Sister Haeberle did and said. (Kaybree)


My pride is of the justifiable kind.

3 comments:

nanajohanna said...

So true Jim; remember at Jacquie and Garrett's nightbeforetheweddingdinner? She was so good with Jennifer's kids at the restaurant after they had been in carseats all day, and then were expected to behave at Chili's. I know she was a big help to Jen, who was no doubt tired from the all day drive. Love you both, J5

nanajohanna said...

So true Jim. One other example; the night of Jacquie and Garrett's nightbeforetheweddingdinner, when Jennifers kids had been in carseats all day, and were then expected to behave themselves at Chili's. Sheryl just stepped right in and helped calm and entertain them. Love you both, J5

Jocie said...

Teaching Sunbeams is, hands down, the best job in the Church. I miss it! Now if we can just get her to transfer some of her computer knowledge/skills to the Haeberle clan, all would be well.

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton