19 June 2009

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Reasonably sane Dad/Uncle Jim pretending that his friend's BB gun is a real firearm.

I have been trying to make light of this Alzheimer's thing, but only Clark answered or made comment on my last post, so I guess everyone's getting all weirded out about the disease. I am convinced that, if I keep taking all the goodies I've been given, most of you won't notice a difference in me at all for a long time, if ever. In other words, I'll be just as annoying or delightful as you've always found me. But I'm doing something wrong, because everyone seems to be afraid to comment any more.


Everything I've said in the last two posts is correct as far as I know it, but we're dealing with very long periods of time here. Although it didn't strike me as funny, what the doctor said about a stroke or a heart attack taking me out before the Alzheimer's gets that far is probably quite true. I could be around for many years, sending out annoying emails, dumb jokes, and politically incorrect proclamations.


In other words, the disease is virtually stopped in its progress at this point, and it's perfectly alright to treat me as you always have. In the case of virtually all of you, that was pretty good.


Now, does anyone have a good .45-70 or .223 they'd like to let go for cheap? I have years and years of recreational shooting ahead of me, and I'd like to get back at it.

7 comments:

Becca and Jon said...

Oh Jim! I'm sad to see that your having such a hard time. I just read your last 2 entry's, I'm glad that Mom's taking such good care of you. It's good that the Dr. is so confidant in the treatment that's been recommended, that's a good sign! Have faith, it'll be alright. :)

nanajohanna said...

Dear Jim
Why do you assume you've done something wrong? I, for one, have been working a lot and didn't read your last post (which I very much enjoyed) until it was 3 days old. And sometimes I read someones post and think about it for a few days before making a comment. I know what you mean though; I thought my last post was kind of nice, but got only one (very nice) comment from Janie. Sorry if you felt slighted though; but I know you're loved.

Jim said...

Thanks, dear Becky. Yes, your mama is taking great care of me, probably more than I need. There are times, though, when I can tell that, without her, I wouldn't have a clue what's going on.

Sorry, Johanna. I can't seem to bind your blog. I should be reading it. Please tell me how to find it.

Jim

clark myers said...

There is no Utopia - they might be able to reverse Alzheimer's someday - but giving you a bump for direction?

Mel Blanc enjoyed saying "What's up Doc?" in character when he was in the hospital; the reports say especially coming out of anesthesia.

You could ask the Dr. whether you'd be able to find your way around better if they cured Alzheimer's and when he says "yes" hit him with "that's good I never could before?!"

clark myers said...

Easiest way to find Johanna regularly is to start from Autumn's (Otonnoss) and look on the right where Autumn has a running blog list showing the most recent post by title from friends and family - click on Humphries - best with speakers on.

Joseph and Mary + Seven said...

We love you!! And don't you forget it! Get it?

nanajohanna said...

Does Clark have a blog?

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton