03 November 2008

All We Have Now is Prayer

Joseph checking .22 hits with "the Toddler."
By this time tomorrow night we'll probably know the outcome of the various elections at all levels of government. I've gotten pretty upset over this one. Senator Obama seems to think that emulating FDR is a good thing. He seems to believe that the New Deal actually worked. Nonsense! The only thing that truly pulled us out of the Great Depression was our entry into Worl War Two.


But it looks like he's going to win, and I'm trying to brace myself for the completely different nation we'll have after several years of his attempts at socializing everything. And, yes, I truly do believe that he'll eventually try to minimize our rights under the Second Amendment as much as he possibly can. He gives lip service to it, but he doesn't really get it. The Second Amendment isn't about hunting. It isn't about militias except to the extent that we, the people, ARE the militia. It's about the people's right to keep and bear arms. Any society which has curtailed or taken away the right to be armed has already ended government BY the people and has left only government OF the people FOR another group of people. It's happening all over the world, and it has happened over and over throughout history. I'm just sick about it.


There is one election that I can be positively excited about and that is the election of my brother-in-law to the office of Sheriff of Fremont County. I've waited consciously for this for decades. I've always known that he was "cut out" for this sort of thing. No more capable and honest fellow could be found for the position. Best of luck to you, Len. I miss those times when we'd spend the day both fishing in tiny streams for trout and popping ground squirrels nearby, or trying ever-longer shots at chucks that were barely visible. Those are truly among my happiest memories. I'm proud of every relative I have, even the liberals! :) But the Humphries bunch is an exemplary family. We are all proud to be able to say we are related to Johanna, Len, and all their kids.


When he lost to General Eisenhower, Governor Adlai Stevenson of Illinois (Obama's home state) was the consummate gentleman. He said, "We vote as many, but we pray as one." I pray for the day that this nation will truly pray as one again.

No comments:

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton