03 March 2010

What I Recall About USAF Family Life














































Tonight's blog post by Heavenly Heidi really took me back. I was at George Air Force Base by Victorville, CA from 1974 to 1980. It was a loud place, because we had 110 F4 Phantoms and a couple dozen F105 Thunderchiefs ("Thuds".) But sometimes Shaynie and I would drive over to the end of the flight line with the kids whether they were asleep or not, and watch the F4s take off in tandem, using their ABs (afterburners) which produced a blue tail of flame of about 12 feet. I didn't get to work with the Aircraft. I just worked in the Procurement Division. But I never tired of watching them and listening to them.


The kids were very happy and very young back then. The two of us were also very happy and very young. That's what I hope for Kevin, Heidi and their incredibly cute kids.


















Seeing Heidi's pictures of Kevin sleeping while his baby daughter tries to entertain him was very tender to me. Let me see what I have from the distant past to go along with that.

4 comments:

Joseph and Mary + Seven said...

I love seeing pictures of Joe when he's little. I see bits of him in all the kids.

Jim said...

I'm glad you noticed that, Mary. I was thinking about writing you a separate email about it. In a couple of the pictures in this blog I can see Molly's big brown eyes in Joseph's face.

Autumn said...

What a neat thing to read. These are the things I thought of when I read Heidi's recent post as well. :) Great minds think alike yet again! And I was doing the exact same thing with looking at the pictures of Joseph and finding him in each of his kids. I love our family and find such comfort that though we may live far apart, our heart are still very much "knit together in unity and love" and also thoughts! Thanks Dad for yet another great post. I love you very much and miss you every day.

Love,
Aubs

Heidi said...

Uncle Jim, I loved this post so much. I absolutely love seeing pictures of your kids when they were little. And I LOVE seeing pictures of Aunt Shaynie. And as for your hopes for Kevin and I, well, yes, I guess we are young. Sometimes I forget. Thanks for the reminder. And yes, we are very happy. And we and our kids love to go on the base and sit at the end of the flight line and watch the C-17's take off and come in. They are so incredibly huge and fun to see. It amazes me every time that they are even flying in the air at all. They just shouldn't be able to do that! Kevin enjoys working on them as well.

And Uncle Jim, you are always so sweet to me, I just love you so much!

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton