09 August 2009

The 2009 Fort Hall Invitational Pow Wow

They say that the invitational Pow Wow down in Albuquerque is about 4 times the size of this one. That's hard to believe. There were thousands here and only a few were curious whites. I saw enough Lamanites last night to give Gen'l. Custer permanent incontinence. And, to wax scriptural about them, remember the promises in the Book of Mormon about them becoming a "delightsome people?" What could be more delightsome than this young lady, a friend of Zannita Armell?





Zannita's gorgeous niece holds her baby brother.




I was given the honor of marching with these guys.




Personally, I'm glad we don't have to fight anybody who looks like this any more.




With all those stripes, I couldn't tell whether he was a retired Marine NCO or a zebra.






A lovely target of opportunity strolls through the grounds.


Zannita's cousin, Sammy, clowns around as the Crazy Horse Monument.






Akira on my lap, Arica with her arm around my shoulders, and their cousins.



Since it was an invitational Pow Wow, this family could be from anywhere in the US or Canada.


One dance competitor helps another prepare.









Zannita with baby Akira (who is 2 now!)



I took some of these pictures with the Armell's camera. This was one of many that I enjoyed editing.



This 74 year old veteran of two wars was a delightful companion.


Zannita's cousin, Sammy.


Another very pleasant aging veteran.








































5 comments:

Becca and Jon said...

Looks like ya had lots of fun!

Jocie said...

I am still just "gone" over Akira. What a doll! But the whoe family is simply beautiful. Looks like you had a good time.

nanajohanna said...

These are great, Jim. Looks like a wonderful time.

Heidi said...

What a cool experience. And what beautiful kids!! WOW!!

Autumn said...

I hope I can go with you guys someday to a Pow Wow. I imagine I'll get caught staring at everyone, but i don't care. Everyone is so beautiful and their traditional dress is pretty cool, too. :)

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton