15 September 2011

Relative Prosperity



We are poorer than we've been for a very long time. Yet we live in relative prosperity. When I consider the Untouchables of India, the common peasants of Mexico, and those who wander the garbage heaps of the Philippines in search of food, I know that I'm in pretty good shape. In good enough shape to get out of shape.






As a newlywed I experienced difficult times for several years. Indeed, the only period of real prosperity I've ever experienced was from 1992 to 2004. Those dozen years were the time when I lived in ease. I couldn't buy a NEW car, but I could afford to keep an old one running. If I wanted a new book, CD, rifle, or pound of powder, I didn't have to wait long. Often, I could buy these things with what I had on hand.






Since losing my profession, I have learned to live small again. But I know how much worse off we could be. My country could be living under the thumb of the cartels as do our neighbors to the south. My health could be a lot worse. Our inelegant home could be even smaller and a lot more shabby. We could be hungry but never are. As a briefly alive character from the movie Shenandoah said to a youngster, "You're walkin' in tall cotton, boy!" And I am.






My children and grandchildren are all alive and well. I have recently been blessed with two new granddaughters. While I have three sons and a grandson whom I hardly ever see, I am comforted to know that they are well. I do not say that all is well in Zion. But I do say that much is right with us. We are blessed.






1 comment:

Johanna Humphries said...

Nice post, Jim. You've been counting your blessings again, huh? A good thing to do. Love you!

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton