25 June 2010

Who'd Have Thought It?

Rolling History in a Parade at ISU


I told Johnny about this earlier today, but it occurs to me that it couldn't hurt to mention this to the group. When you do something for 20 years and people tell you that you're doing it well, you really miss it when it's taken away. For over 6 years I've been denied the pleasure of teaching History, except for those moments that I could sneak it into a Sunday School or Priesthood lesson.


Several nights ago our Relief Society (Shayne delighted in calling it "Rerief Soriety") president told Sheryl that several sisters had requested that their "work meetings" be classes in US History for a while and that a specific request had been made that I be the instructor! It has been passed by the Bishop and the Stake President, and a bunch of sisters from another ward also said they wanted to attend. For that matter, so does the Stake President.


Two miracles in one week. Sheryl's trashed heart is healed overnight and my many prayers that I might some day be of use again in the one thing I know I can do well being answered in such a huge and unexpected way. There's no money in it, but no one really teaches for the money, at least not in Idaho. I never told the people in Madison District 321, but I'd have done the 20 years just for fun if only my family had been provided for otherwise.


Now, of course, I'm becoming filled with self-doubt and worry. Will I still be good at it? Will the "holes" make much difference? Surely I'll have no problems with the groups themselves. These are adults, so you naturally expect more courtesy from them. However, I noticed a strong tendency among some parents over the years at parent/teacher conferences. Those who know a lot about one facet of History want to quiz you to see whether you know it as well as they do. It might be a hobby subject of theirs which they've studied for 50 years, but they'll be sure to look narrowly at you if you show any weakness by admitting that there was even one detail that they knew and you didn't. Over the years, I would wait nervously for that misfortune, but I think they only got me a couple of times.


I know that this opportunity is an answer to prayer. Perhaps it answers not only my prayers but also those of others who like me. I'm grateful to the Lord and also to anyone else who put in a good word for me.

3 comments:

nanajohanna said...

I think this is wonderful, Jim! I wish more R.S.'s would do this; but most don't have someone of your caliber to teach, but I'm sure they could find someone willing to teach and lead a discussion. You're always in my prayers; I hope you know that. Yay for miracles!

Jacob and Lisa Haeberle said...

Great news, Jim. It has been my experience (vast as it is) that most students are much more annoyed by the know-it-all student than they are troubled by the fact that an instructor does not have the minutiae of a given event or issue at his brain-tips (new term:copy write 2010). Jake.

Autumn said...

This is AMAZING!!! Congratulations, Dad!! I pray for you every single day, and lately have been praying that something like this would come along specifically for you to use your considerable talents! To read this news touched my heart so much!!! When do you begin? I can't wait to hear all about it.

Love,
Aubs

P.S. I had to recently privatize my own blog, so I will send you an invitation to view it in the coming days. Will explain more next time we chat. Love you!

My Favorite Books & Authors

  • Dale Brown
  • Mark Twain
  • Charles Dickens
  • Speeches both Historical and Hysterical
  • Damon Runyon
  • Jan Karon Mitford Novels
  • Clive Cussler
  • Tom Clancy Novels
  • Harry Potter
  • The Works of Ernest Thompson Seton